Myanmar: Freedom From Fear!
June 16, 2015
Author of this post: Davide
Take a look to my Travel Photo Gallery…
I am finally ready to write my Myanmar experience. Let’s say something about this country.
Myanmar, also known as Burma, was for long considered an isolated place from the rest of the world. I personally had never considered in my life to go there, that is because for 48 years the country was ruled by a military junta that suppressed almost every dissent. The generals who ran the country were accused of gross human rights abuses, including the forcible relocation of civilians and the widespread use of forced labour, including children.
Now is time to visit this amazing country filled with gilded pagodas, indeed with an important election in 2014 replaced the military rule by a quasi-civilian government of democratic hope. I went there in January 2015.
I shared this beautiful journey to this TOP destination with my girlfriend, Romina. We flew from Italy to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and from there we took another flight to Yangon, Backpacker capital of Myanmar. This map below will show you the route that we followed in this trip, we spent a total of 18 days…..beautiful and unique experience!!!
Route A: Yangoon, Mandaly, Sagaing, Inwa, U-Bein Bridge
Route B: Bagan, Mt. Popa, Inle Lake
Route C: Bago, Golden Rock, Mawlamyne, Bilu Kyun Island, Hap-An.
This trip is included in my post Backpacking Southeast Asia for 110 days. Well, Myanmar is absolutely one of my TOP destination. From Yangon we took a night bus to Mandalay on the same day(07/01/2015). We spent 3 days in Mandalay visiting the city, the ancient royal capital of Inwa, Sagaing Hill and one of the most photographed Myanmar sites, U-Bein Bridge.
We moved to Bagan, here, the main attraction is the “Bagan Archaeological Zone”. and just to know guys, Bagan’s kings commissioned more than 4000 Buddhist temple and that is why Marco Polo described this place as “one of the finest sights in the world”. After this magical experience we continued to Inle Lake, we stayed there 4 days and a long-tailed boat transported us to various natural, cultural, religious and historical sites. The last part of our trip was in Yangon and around there, visiting: the “winking wonder” of Shwedagon Paya, the giant gilded Rock on Mt. Kyaiktiyo, Bilu Kyun Island and the spiritual caves around Hpa-An.
10 reasons to visit Myanmar in 10 stunning pictures. Backpacking Myanmar
What can I say about this country?
First at all, Myanmar is one of the most “spiritual” destination of Southeast Asia, with more than 89% of buddhists. Myanmar suffered several periods of wars and political disorders, but Buddhism continued to prosper under the patronage of various kings and became part of common people lifestyle.
I hated Myanmar for a 20% (Hassles everywhere with stupidly overpriced places) and I loved it for the remaining 80% but sometimes it confused me. No doubt about my conclusion: Myanmar has been charming and spiritual, I found it a truly fascinating and unique place to visit with rich cultural authenticity and friendly people. I think Myanmar is extremely different from other Southeast Asian countries.
Myanmar deserves a visit…but before that, take a look of my stories below
THE WORLD’S LONGEST FOOTBRIDGE
THEIR UNIQUE ART OF FISHING
THE ANCIENT BURMESE EMPIRE
BETWEEN BRICKS AND STUCCO STRUCTURES